Tuesday, April 15, 2008

And the final quarter begins...

As the final quarter begins, I have chosen to do my final project on the portrayal of women in literature verses women in the media – focusing on the stereotypes women are associated with. This topic is very interesting to me because as the time change, so does the way women are presented. My project idea is to use this theme as the “theme of the year” for the English class and create a whole curriculum based off of it. There will be at least two novels and one play that connect to this theme, plus a lot of criticism and other information to discuss. Breakfast at Tiffanys by Truman Copete is one of the novels I have chosen to use because it shows a woman in a more promiscuous and negative manner. Compared to television shows like Judge Judy and Grey’s Anatomy [to an extent] women are portrayed as stronger more successful characters. The media has portrayed women if different ways throughout the years. Questia is a great source for criticism on this subject; I have looked and researched the subject and found great sources. My overall project will include activities, worksheets, slideshows, reading material, and paragraphs explaining why I chose to include everything in the portfolio.

No comments: