Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Cream Colored Skin Connection


The wind blew past my face making goose bumps rise along my outstretched arms. I gripped the wheel tight and continued down the road basking in the sunlight that danced behind the tree tops. My mind wandered; I let the air and surroundings engulf me. Then I saw her. Cars shot passed mine as time stood still. A very stocky woman with long but thin black hair, her skin the color of a ceramic vase, waited at the side of the road. Immediately, thoughts of remorse, shame, and pity entered my mind – how could she be standing at the side of a highway; was she waiting to cross the stampede of cars? It was all in this one moment that I felt sorry for this Mexican girl. As I drove passed her down the road late for my nail appointment I could think only of the book I have been reading for english class, what a perfect connection to the book that has inched its way into my daily life.

Some might find this book distasteful because of its underpinnings of racism. But I on the other hand find the book intriguing. The Tortilla Curtain by T.C. Boyle expands the mind of the reader; it allows for two worlds to collide worlds that would have never weaved together. The novel is unlike any other I have read. Instantly in the first few chapters you begin to feel guilty; you finally realize how much you take for granted: food, water, shelter, work, and education. There are millions of people in the world who do not have the luxuries you and I have. And as you a reading this you might be thinking to yourself, oh I wish I had more clothes or I really want that new thing or Can I go there for Spring Break? WAKE UP! Sorry to break the truth to you so late in life but stop being so selfish. Trust me I know it is hard, because I am very selfish at times, but I am learning to appreciate what I have even more after starting this book. Okay, so I’m only six chapters into the book I’m going to read more now so expect another post from me in a few days when I have more material to work off of. But for now, here is a little fact that I stumbled upon through my research.

** Did you know that the leading country of illegal immigrants is Mexico
? Their total is the highest with 5.9 million people. That number is climbing each day as Mexican cross the border. I have nothing agianst Mexicans and this is not a racist arguement. I just think that the amount of illegal people in the country should be way less depsite what country they orginate from. **

No comments: