Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Hardest Thing To Do: Forgive

For english class I was way ahead of the game and finished the book, The Sunflower by Simon Wiesenthal a week ago. As soon I began reading the story I was compelled to finish it the first night it was in my possession. Maybe it was becasue I could relate to the story that was being told; my grandma was also a Holocaust survivor, or it could have been Wiesenthal's language and style that kept me intrested. At the end of reading the entire book, I give nothing but good praise. But it was not until I started my creative assignment that I learned the most. I not only learned about the Holocaust and the trifles the Jewish people underwent, but I learned increasingly more about the man who attempted to hunt down Nazi soldiers years later Simon Wiesenthal. I have a lot of respect for Simon Wiesenthal and the tasks he accomplished after his survival of one of the most deadly genocides in history. He fought for his life and continued to fight until justice was served. His actions also provoke cosntant thought and attention, thus he remains one of the most respected Holocaust survivors. I wish I had the chance to meet him before he passed awy at age 96. Through my research for my project, I discovered this video that highlights Wiesenthal's life during and after the Holocaust; I found it to be very intresting and included it in my unit plan for the novel.Also for those intrested in the life of Simon Wiesnethal click this link: Simon Wiesenthal: A Nazi Hunter.




Simon Wiesenthal poses a question that is constantly thought about; it drives people insane. Would you have forgave a Nazi Soldier who confessed the deadly sins he preformed against your brothers and sisters, the Jewish people? How would you respond? What would you say? These are just a few questions I have thought about after reading. I can honeslty say that I have so much anamosity built up towards the Nazis that I know that they do not deserve forgiveness, or as a matter of fact, my attention. Simply, the Holocaust is a genocide that will never be forgotten and the soldiers who masacured the Jews will also never be forgotten and should never be granted forgiveness. One may call me harsh and ruthless but that is the truth. No one who murders anothor, no matter the reason, should be forgiven for their actions. Newton's Third Law was designed for a reason: For every action their is an equal and opposite reaction. German SS Soldiers who seek forgiveness will never find it; therefore, Simon Wiesenthal's decision to ignore the grant for forgivness is compeletly vaild and appropriate.


If you think you might be intresting in reading this book click the following link: book review this is an intresting and detailed book review [ book may be spoiled if read]

No comments: